The 2017 NHL Stanley Cup Conference Finals start on Friday with Game 1 between the Nashville Predators and the Anaheim Ducks. Here are some notes from the second round as well as notes and my predictions for the upcoming Conference Finals.
Round 2 Notes & Stats:
- The Ducks Game 7 win over the Edmonton Oilers saved me from going 0-4 in Round 2. My record now sits at a dismal 5-7.
- The Game 7 win by the Ducks over Oilers on Wednesday snapped a 5-game Game 7 losing streak. That was tied for the most consecutive Game 7 losses in NHL history.
- 27 of 68 games played this postseason (39.7%) have seen the winning team overcome a deficit of at least a goal.
- The Pittsburgh Penguins are the first non-Original Six team to register at least nine series wins against one opponent (9-1 vs. Washington Capitals, 3-0 in Crosby-Ovechkin era).
— NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) May 11, 2017
- Bob Cole has called more than 25% of all Game 7s in the Stanley Cup Playoffs (167 GP).
- The Penguins are 6-0 all-time as visitors in Game 7s, the best such road record among major pro sports franchises.
- Game 7 is most frequently-occurring series length since 2009.
7 GP – 45
6 GP – 44
5 GP – 27
4 GP – 16
— NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) May 10, 2017
Round 3 Notes & Stats:
- The Penguins have won a total of four Stanley Cups. They have knocked out the Capitals on the way to all four of them. Will this season be five?
- Seven of the Ottawa Senators’ eight playoff wins have been by one goal, with five in overtime. Its only win that wasn’t by one goal was a series-clinching 4-2 victory against the New York Rangers in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Second Round, when the Senators scored into an empty net with seven seconds remaining. Going back to March 11th, Ottawa has won only three games by more than one goal in the past 27 regular-season and playoff games.
- A California-based team will play in the Conference Finals for the 8th consecutive season and 12th time in the past 14 seasons.
- The Nashville Predators have advanced to the Western Conference Final for the first time in franchise history.
- As the second wild card team from the Western Conference, Nashville is the 4th bottom seed to make a Conference Final since 2006. The Los Angeles Kings won the Stanley Cup in 2012; the Montreal Canadiens lost to the Philadelphia Flyers in the 2010 Eastern Conference Final; and the Oilers lost to the Carolina Hurricanes in Game 7 of the 2006 Stanley Cup Final.
- The Predators have allowed only 14 goals through 10 playoff games. Pekka Rinne has a .951 save percentage in those 10 games, which ranks second since the statistic was introduced in 1983-84 (among those who faced at least 150 shots). The single-season playoff record is held by Marty Turco of the Dallas Stars, who had a .952 save percentage in seven games in 2006-07.
- Rinne has three assists so far in the playoffs, one shy of the record for a goalie in a single postseason set by Martin Brodeur of the New Jersey Devils in 2012.
My Round 3 Predictions:
P1 Anaheim vs WC2 Nashville – Nashville in 7
M2 Pittsburgh vs A2 Ottawa – Pittsburgh in 4
STANLEY CUP FINAL
Before Round 1 – BOSTON over ST. LOUIS
Before Round 2 – WASHINGTON over ST. LOUIS
Before Round 3 – NASHVILLE over PITTSBURGH
The complete schedule, including broadcast info, is available at NHL.com.