The second round of the 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs start on Thursday. Following a record of 6-2 in the first round, here are some notes as well as my revised predictions for Round 2.
Round 2 Notes & Stats:
- Every team left in the postseason accumulated 100 or more points during the regular season.
- All four teams in the West are seeking their first Stanley Cup championship. This is only the third time in history that the final four teams in a conference are chasing their first NHL championship.
- The two teams with the most points this season, the Nashville Predators (117 points) and the Winnipeg Jets (114 points), will square off in the second round of the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs.
- The Pittsburgh Penguins have won nine of 10 series versus the Washington Capitals. The Penguins have won five Stanley Cups, knocking out the Capitals on the way to all five of them. Washington’s only series win against Pittsburgh was in the first round in 1993-94.
- Only the Vancouver Canucks, St. Louis Blues and Buffalo Sabres have spent more time in the NHL without a championship than Washington, who entered the league in 1974-75.
- Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin entered the league together in 2005. Ovechkin has never beaten Crosby in a playoff series and Crosby has collected three Stanley Cups to Ovechkin’s none.
- This is the second time the Tampa Bay Lightning and Boston Bruins have met in the postseason. The Bruins defeated Tampa in seven games in the 2011 East Final en-route to their sixth Stanley Cup.
(C1) Nashville Predators vs (C2) Winnipeg Jets – WINNIPEG in 7
(P1) Vegas Golden Knights vs (P3) San Jose Sharks – SAN JOSE in 6
(A1) Tampa Bay Lightning vs (A2) Boston Bruins – BOSTON in 6
(M1) Washington Capitals vs (M2) Pittsburgh Penguins – WASHINGTON in 7
Stanley Cup Final
Before Round 1 – BOSTON over WINNIPEG
Before Round 2 – BOSTON over WINNIPEG
For more on the match-ups, as well as the complete schedule, visit NHL.com